Saturday, December 8, 2012

Frazzle Dazzle Time

Hey Friends,

Just a quick note to check in with you.  I am a little frazzled lately, but still have to dazzle as most of us do this time of year.  I'm not complaining because this comes with the territory, but my job has demanded a lot of my time lately.  Before schedule dictates again (off to work tomorrow), I would like to share some of my orchid photos with you, and let you know how my orchid project has been going.


Allow me to introduce my office orchids.  Yes, I have my own little Zen garden-on-a-stand by the window.  They flirt with the passersby on the walkway outside, and have drawn quite a bit of attention to themselves.  I'm surprised they haven't been hauled off to the Human Resources office yet for causing a "disturbance." :-) These lovelies have been at the office now for three months, and all of them are developing new buds, leaves or shoots while they are still blooming.  Amazing;  I'm so exited about this!  I love how orchids (or any flowers) draw people in and become the topic of conversation.  Then, before you know it, a new friend has been made. :-)


This one hasn't lost a bloom in three months, and has new buds developing as well.  Thank goodness I finally educated and applied myself to helping orchids thrive!  If only I could have all of those that have gone by the wayside under my care back for a second chance!


This one is still alive and well too!  No new growth of any sort has been detected, but it hasn't lost a bloom in about three months either.

Now that the addiction has been confirmed, stay tuned for a later report on my bathroom semi-makeover.  I'm turning it into a greenhouse of sorts for orchids.  The conditions are perfect in there.  Don't worry, I will do this tastefully.  I am loading up a bamboo rack across the tub with them, and recently hung a 'Staghorn Fern' (one of my impulse buys at the garden center) in front of the window in the bathroom.  Said window is very tall, so there's still plenty of bright indirect light flooding in for the orchids even with the fern hanging in the window.  There's more than one way to get a greenhouse. :-)

Until next time, let's all dazzle even if we're frazzled!  
:-)

14 comments:

  1. pleas tell us how to keep them alive!! gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,

      I am amazed myself at the latest goings on with the orchids. I am planning a post on what has worked for me as far as keeping the orchids alive. I'm so glad you enjoyed them.

      Thanks for stopping by and keep on shining! :-)

      Delete
  2. I think these look gorgeous but sadly my luck with orchids is poor. I never can manage to keep them alive for more than a short time and they are so expensive. In London at present there are many on 'special' just in time for Christmas - but where to keep them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabelle,

      Thank you. I'm so glad you enjoyed the orchids. Oooooh, Christmas season orchids on special? Are you sure you can't find a window that gets bright indirect light to squeeze one in? There I go, being a flower pusher again ... LOL.

      So glad you stopped by. Keep on shining! :-)

      Delete
  3. Your orchids are gorgeous. I love that you are making your work place a little more colorful and cheerful. I bet it really helps your attitude, and everyone that see them, too. I think making your bathroom into a greenhouse for orchids is wonderful! What a fabulous place it will be to see first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holley,

      Thank you. I'm so glad you enjoyed the orchids. The office orchids really have been a joy to have. I wish I'd done this sooner, since I spend most of my waking hours at work. Yes, they are a welcome distraction from the everyday stress of work, and my coworkers are enjoying them as well. I can't wait to get the bathroom project finished. There's a lot of wasted space around the tub and across it, which will be perfect for the orchids. Even my son has taken an interest in this project!

      So glad you stopped by. Keep on shining! :-)

      Delete
  4. The colors are amazing! What a great way to keep your love of gardening alive through the winter months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,

      So glad you stopped by, and I'm glad enjoyed the orchids. They have been lots of fun, and are really helping to fill the gap this year. I'll be going to rehab soon ... daylily AND orchid addiction, oh my! I feel an intervention "in the air." LOL

      Hope all is well! Keep on shining! :-)

      Delete
  5. Beth, I warned you a while back that orchids would be addictive. Methinks it's happened. Congratulations and welcome to the group. Seems you're starting an orchid blog? I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,

      Yes, I remember you warning me about the orchid addiction, and were you ever right. It sure is fun though. :-) Thank you for the welcome, I'm glad to be a member of the elite order of the orchids now. Oh, an orchid blog is a very good possibility, and you'll be the first to know when it comes to life. Thought you'd like to know, I'm already planning to go to an orchid show in Birmingham in 2013. Yippee!

      So glad you stopped by! Keep on shining! :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh frazzled Queen of the Daylily, but now with another string to your gadening bow...orchids! They're looking great, you have the midas touch. I hope you're soon defrazzled xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for your kind words, Jane! :-) I was really nervous that these orchids would go the the great beyond just like so many before. It's really exciting to see these perform so well! I'm working on defrazzling ... LOL!

      So glad you stopped by! Keep on shining! xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Beth, your orchids are looking truly amazing! It is hard to believe that they are doing that well in your office and not in a greenhouse that matches their needs precisely. I feel that especially in the winter time we are getting so much out of flowers, they give so much joy. Looking forward to your next post about the bath room greenhouse. Sounds exciting! Hope you had a lovely holiday and wishing you a Happy New Year 2013!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, Thank you for your kind words. :-) The orchids have really brought me a lot of joy lately. I have been amazed with the office orchids myself. I wasn't sure how they'd like the conditions there but they have not disappointed. I'm working on that bathroom greenhouse, and can't wait to share it with you. I had a lovely holiday and hope you did as well. Happy New Year 2013 to you too!
      So glad you stopped by! Keep on shining! :-)

      Delete