Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Kind of "Black Friday"

Just a quick post to share some of my "Black Friday" photos with you.  
I spent my "Black Friday" away from crowds (of the human kind).


A favorite quote comes to mind:
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way."
- Henry David Thoreau


A large blue heron flew from the brightly dressed tree when I was spotted.  It proceeded to circle until I left the area.  When I watch herons fly, their flying style reminds me of the dragons I've seen in the movies.  Thank goodness, they don't breathe fire.  On second thought, maybe they do.  Just look at that tree!


 Spanish Moss ...


More Spanish Moss ...


Across the lake ... that's the main crossing.


Many years ago, I had a little friend who lived here.  A little alligator used to live here who I named Alli, and Alli would come swimming from the back of this creek each time we'd visit.  Apparently, someone had been feeding Alli, which is a big "no no" if you live around wild alligators.  It's cute to have them swim out to greet you when they're little, but not once they've grown to a size to do a human harm.  It's unfair to the gators too because being friendly to humans usually leads to their demise. 


The long and winding road ...


NOTE TO SELF:  Wild ducks do not pose for photos.  There were hundreds of them right around this corner, and the sky was black with them "heading for the hills" before we even made it around this group of trees.   


The long and winding road continues ...
The main lake is on the other side.


Abandoned wild duck territory.  
I hear an osprey cry overhead (fish eagle) while I'm standing here.

 
Pretty ...

"My, what big ears you have!" :-)
 Do you see what I see?

14 comments:

  1. Well other then the gators, I love the scenery where you live.

    What a beautiful place to live.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. So glad you enjoyed the scenery. It does take time (a long time) to get used to the gators. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  2. Nothing like Spanish moss dripping from trees to evoke mystery, foreboding and romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lee. Spanish moss definitely adds drama. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your walk and note to self. I was a teenager when I last saw Spanish moss in the deep South, so that's over 30 years now. Tried to take some back to Kansas.......... You're very blessed to live in such a beautiful even with the alligators. Really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patrick,

      I'm so glad you landed here at Daylily Soup. Spanish moss seems to get everyone's attention. My brother and I wore Spanish moss around our necks during our first encounter with it as children. It is full of what we call "chiggers" down here. We were covered in bites for weeks. LOL (It took a couple of years to be funny to us.) I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, and I hope you'll stop by again. I'm headed over to visit Patrick's Garden soon.

      All the best! :-)

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to have all this on your doorstep - some beautiful shots you have taken - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It's easy to take one's surroundings for granted, but the lake won't allow me to do that. I cross over it each day on the way to and from work, and there's a new scene painted by nature waiting for me each morning and each evening. I have to be careful on the bridge though. LOL So glad you stopped by. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely pics but the thought of aligators in such close proximity gives me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabelle, I agree, alligators can be creepy if you're not used to them. I keep a healthy distance from them. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  6. Just like you I head in the opposite direction of crowded shopping malls, so much better for the soul to go for a walk. Your photographs are wonderful, made me feel like I was walking right beside you! So many things we don't have here, spanish moss, alligators... I love the way, although the deer is far you can still make out what it is from its silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary, My soul did feel very refreshed on Friday. I'm so glad you enjoyed the photographs, and thank you for your kind words. I was lucky to get the shot of the deer. We were leaving the area and I really didn't have my camera ready. Two fawns ran across the road and stood in the tall grass. They were both outgrowing their spots, but still needed to grow into their ears (teenagers ... LOL). All the best! :-)

      Delete
  7. I can imagine how your 'Far from the madding crowd' venture could serve as a very good balm for the soul. The walk is refreshing with interesting images of moss-covered trees, the waters, the trees, deers and other animals. Even the creepy gator add to the thrill. You have captured very well the mood and spirit of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stiletto, So glad your stopped by, and glad you enjoyed the walk. Yes, the creepy gators do add some excitement. All the best! :-)

      Delete