Thursday, November 22, 2012

It's the Little Things - Thanksgiving 2012

Well, Thanksgiving dinner has come and gone.  Here I sit at the computer with yet another cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee I just brewed.  It's nice to relax for a moment.  I didn't realize what a treasure this mug would become when I bought it.  I was visiting my mother in Michigan years ago, and she was already in the throes of Alzheimer's.  However, Mom was having a particularly good day during our visit, so she, my husband and son enjoyed a day out sightseeing and shopping in Copper Harbor.  She helped me pick out this mug and one other, which just happens to have an orchid on it (such precious treasures now) :-). 

 
As far as Thanksgiving dinner goes, a good time was had by all.  Deep breaths did help during the preparations.  I thought I'd share a few highlights of the day with you if you have a minute.

Violas
I was out on the front porch this morning, and noticed the violas were looking very pretty.  I like their cascading form.

'Majestic Giant' Pansy
 The pansies are looking quite smashing lately too.  I just love this one.  It wasn't quite unfurled all of the way, so I'll have to post another photo later.  I think the color is luscious.  Pansies are one of my sentimental flowers.  They remind of my late grandparents and brother (I plan to write a post about the pansy and it's sentimental significance in the future).  Black-Eyed Susans remind me of my mother.  Of course, the daylily reminds me of my late mother-in-law and gardening pal (she started the whole daylily addiction).  Egrets (the snowy white bird) remind me of my late paternal grandmother (she loved them).  Last but not least, the beautiful birdhouses in the garden remind me of my late father-in-law who built them for me.  It's comforting to remember those dear to my heart, especially on holidays.  Do you have a sentimental flower/flowers, etc.?

Turkey - Into the Frier
Here's the turkey on its way into the deep fryer.  My husband and son are lowering this into the hot oil.  This method of cooking a turkey is rather dangerous;   lots of carports, trees, garages, etc. have been set on fire this way.  If there's too much oil in the fryer, you'll end up with a big bonfire once the oil spills over onto the flame.  Once that happens, you may as well clear the area, and wait patiently for the flames to subside.  That has NOT happened around here.  Thank goodness!

Deep Fried Turkey
Here's the finished product.  It's still on the rack that it was lowered into the oil on (that's a special tool that comes along with a turkey frier).  Once removed, it looks just like a normal roasted turkey in shape.  Fried turkey is delicious!  I was hooked after I tasted the first one.  It's also nice that it's cooked outside by someone else.  Shh, don't tell Mr. D. S. I said that.  Oh, by the way, that clutter in the background was removed before dinner.  Martha Stewart would never approve of that! lol

Iced Sweet Tea
 It truly is the little things ...
The frozen strawberries bobbing in the iced tea were a big hit. 

What little things have been a hit in your life lately?

Well, I'm off to play the Sonic All-stars Racing Transformed video game with my son.  This is a long standing tradition with us that started when he was probably nine (my son taught me how to play Star Fox one week when it was just the two of us around in the evenings).  Now, he's a college student, the video games have changed and so have we in some ways, but one thing that hasn't changed is that we still play video games when we have a chance (I still play ungracefully too).  After all, it's the little things. :-)

I am always thankful for my dear family and friends,
and that certainly includes my friends in the blogosphere.  

Hope you're having a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Your photo of the Majestic Giant pansy is spectacular, like a wonderful apricot sunset :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. So glad you enjoyed the pansy apricot sunset. All the best to you! :-)

      Delete
  2. So glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The turkey looks delicious! I love fried turkey, but am too much of a coward to do it myself. Love the pansy. My sentimental favorite flower is hydrangeas. They remind me of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holley. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. I don't blame you for being scared to fry a turkey yourself. I wouldn't attempt it myself either. So glad you liked the pansy. Thank you for sharing your sentimental flower, the hydrangea. It's so nice to have a sentimental flower, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete