Sunday, May 13, 2012

Daylily Delirium

Yes, I'm in the midst of Daylily delirium; 
it will pass in another month or so (it always does).
The daylilies are certainly taking center stage in the garden right now.  
Here are few blooms from the past week:

Spacecoast Mulberry Motif (and a friend)
I love the gilded, ruffled edges. 

Let There Be Peace
Webster's Pink Wonder
This one amazes with a 13 inch bloom!
I waited two, long years to see this one bloom.
Patience is a virtue (that I have to try hard to have sometimes). 
:-)

Coaches Laughing Eye
Edna Lankert Memorial
Thin Man
A full length shot of 'Thin Man' 
for my friends who liked the last pic of "him."

Spider Web
I've noticed that some daylilies need to settle in for two or three years before they perform to their potential, while others miraculously bloom quite well the first year they're planted.  The first two years I had 'Spider Web,' I seriously considered giving it away to a friend because this daylily was just so lackluster in performance.  I thought it might need a "change of scenery."  However, this year, 'Spider Web' redeemed itself and more with 11 inch blooms and increased scape height.  It truly shines in the garden now.  

I've been told many times before that I treat my garden like a painting.  Although my daylily collection has a rainbow of colors, I anchor my "patch" (as my husband calls it) with the darkest reds, purples and eggplant daylilies, and light it up with the buttery yellows, the lemon yellows and the whites.  Gardening is just another form of painting to me.  The unplanted areas are just canvases-in-waiting.  What are some tricks or tips you use when creating your "living paintings"?  I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for stopping by. :-)

12 comments:

  1. Beth, here I am -- and the blooms are spectacular. I do have some daylilies but there are no buds as of yet. My favorite are (right now) is Bela Lugosi. I planted them last year and they bloomed. This year, the clumps are huge! They're on my divide and separate list. Thanks for inviting me over. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by, Kevin! Thank you for your kind words. I don't have a Bela Lugosi, but I just looked it up. That's a beauty! It just went on my wish list. I look forward to seeing your dayliles when they bloom. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the Mulberry one Beth - you certainly have green fingers as far as your day lilies are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mulberry one too, Elaine. I have a feeling it will be even prettier next year. This one seems to still be settling in at times. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  3. What fabulous daylilies! I love those large thin ones - so unusual! And I enjoyed hearing about how you 'paint' with their colors. I just plop and hope it works out. If not, I plop it into another space! My daylilies are almost ready to start blooming! It's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Holley. Daylilies are certainly one of my joys. I am partial to the spiders too. I just came in from my last garden gaze of the day. Judging from the photos of your garden, the plopping technique of "painting" is definitely working for you. You must be into modern art. :-) I'm looking forward to seeing your daylilies bloom. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  4. Every last inch of our garden is now full. Just as well really, visiting your blog is such a tempting tease to maybe just find room for one more plant...a day lily say! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, I hope you find a spot to squeeeeze in a daylily. You won't regret it. :-) Who knows? We might become fellow daylily addicts. Thanks for stopping by. xxx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the Thin Man in full, Beth. He's still the king lily in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, You're welcome. Yes, 'Thin Man' is royalty, for sure. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love Herman the Giant - he looks almost edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Elaine. I'm glad he finally he redeemed himself before I moved him to "the outskirts." I think this one looks almost edible too. To me, his color is bright pumpkin. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete