Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Recent Travels - Part I (San Francisco, California & Modesto, California)

I recently went on a whirlwind trip (business), but managed to see some lovely sights along the way.  As usual, I snapped lots of photos.  Here are some pics from the first half of the trip, which I'd love to share with you if you have a few minutes:


After landing in Oakland, we went straight to Pier 39 in San Francisco, California (one of my FAVORITE places) where we managed to see quite a bit in a short while. 

Pier 39 Entrance - San Francisco, California
Love this crazy crab!

Boudin Bakery - San Francisco, California
 Famous for their sourdough bread, a portion of the original 1849 mother dough is still used in each loaf of sourdough bread baked at Boudin's.

Boudin Bakery - San Francisco, California

Boudin Bakery, San Francisco, California
They bake more than sourdough bread here ... these cookies caught my eye.

Pier 39 Farmers Market - San Francisco, California
I noticed similar super California strawberries approximately 17 years ago on my first visit to San Francisco with my husband during which I fell in love with the city, and have remained smitten ever since (as some of you already know). On my first visit, I didn't sample any of these luscious looking strawberries, so I corrected that on this trip (they had the cutest little sinks at the market to wash the fruit in).  These plum sized strawberries were the best I've ever tasted!  I'm sure it didn't hurt that I was standing on Pier 39 in my beloved San Francisco while tasting them. :-)

 Pretty Mixed Planter on The Pier
You can count on me to spot the flowers ...

The Enlightenment Shop

The Sock Market
 Like the catchy name... and the pretty hanging baskets.

The Sock Market
The Crystal Shop - Pier 39
 I loved these jellyfish paperweights.  
Maybe Santa will bring one this year. :-)

Another Beautiful Planter - Pier 39
The blue flowers are such a striking color.  
Does anyone know what they are?

Pier 39 - San Francisco, California
I thought this was a beautiful view.  The weather was also beautiful.  It was 66 degrees in San Francisco during our short visit.  After a couple of hours at The Pier, we were off to Modesto, California where there was much work to be done.


I snapped this photo while having breakfast in Modesto at The Mediterranean Market & Grill when I realized this striking flower was fresh!  Oh, my goodness!  How stunning!  Once I had my "flower fix," I was set for the day.

I'll post "My Recent Travels, Part II" soon.  I'm off to finish unpacking my bags (my steamer trunk ... lol).
 
Hope you're all having a great weekend! :-)

10 comments:

  1. HAH! Love that Crazy Crab. have tried to zoom in on the blue flowers (no luck) ..is it Lobelia? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the crazy crab too, Jane! My son said it looks like a "giant enemy crab." I think you're right about the mystery flowers. I looked up lobelia, and I believe we have a match. Thanks for the I.D. my friend.
      All the best! xx

      Delete
  2. Some beautiful pictures of a lovely place - I went many years ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures, Elaine. I want to go back already. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through your interesting pictures. The giant jellyfish paperweights are amazing. Never thought they do such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures, Stiletto. I am still amazed with those paperweights! The photo doesn't even do them justice, so just imagine how beautiful they really are. I never thought they could do such a thing either. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  4. Delightful look at one of my favorite cities, Beth. Alas, I've never been to the Sock Market, which seems the perfect place to feed my sock fetish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Well, I guess you'll have to make a trip to San Francisco just to go to The Sock Market to buy some fabulous socks. Thank goodness, I didn't spot a shoe shop (one of my weaknesses) while I was at Pier 39! All the best! :-)

      Delete
  5. Love the pics - I so want to be there again - Boudins is one of my favourites too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annabelle. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pics. I hope you make it to San Francisco for a visit in the near future. Something else we have in common ... Boudin is one of our favorites. :-)
      All the best! x

      Delete