Saturday, October 13, 2012

I think I have a fever ...

 It all began with a trip to The Fresh Market a couple of weeks ago.  Greeting me at the door was this stand of beckoning orchids which I was immediately agog over.  I oohed and ahhhhed over each one of them, but somehow I managed to leave the store without adopting one.

Yes, they had this magical glow with heavenly light shining down on them from above ...
  The story isn't over ...

Land of the 'Lady Slippers'
 So, last weekend, I went to visit my son.  Somehow (I have no idea how this happened and had nothing to do with it), we ended up at a garden center where I just had to browse the orchid selection.  It would be against my religion to leave the garden center without at least looking at the orchids!  There was quite a group of 'Lady Slippers' there.

I do believe he is smiling at me ...
Just look at the face on this one!  By now, I'm repeating to myself "you will be strong, you will be strong ..."  I was doing this silently, of course, because people would stare otherwise.

"Are we almost there yet?" she says ...
Well, as soon as I got into the Sequoia to leave, look who jumped into the back seat.  Orchids are sneaky!  They'll just follow you out of the garden center and jump into the back seat.

Right at home ...
Now I have found myself looking at orchid pots online to repot the currently dormant orchids I have.  I've also been looking at potting medium, fertilizer and a lovely stand that will hold several orchids!

I think I have a fever ...

13 comments:

  1. Beth, that fever will come in handy on cold winter days when you're waiting on daylilies to come back. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lee, I am really looking forward to my new indoor gardening project. I agree, this will certainly come in handly on those cold winter days. All the best! :-)

      Delete
  2. I so understand this fever. They are gorgeous. Sadly I am not good at keeping them - a friend has given me three this year and none has survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I'm sorry your lovely gift orchids aren't staying around for you to enjoy them longer. I have a very wise cousin in upstate New York who is an orchid collector. I'm planning to ask her advice on orchid care, which I will gladly share with you. xx

      Delete
    2. Ann, Lee May who commented above is an avid orchid collector as well. :-)

      Delete
  3. I would have the fever, too, if I hadn't killed every orchid that jumped into my car so far. :( I have read that orchids are easy, but obviously I don't know the secret! Maybe you can give us some lessons on orchid-keeping, and the fever will spread! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holley,
      I sure do hope I can help spread the fever. We'll know soon if I'm able to handle this new project of mine or not. It will be fun no matter what. So glad you stopped. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh you've caught a bad case of "orchiditis" only to be cured by getting more orchids....lol.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Orchids particularly the phalaenopsis (the one that you have) make lovely long-lasting indoor plants. I used to be struck by orchid fever and had more than I could chew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love their long lasting quality, Stiletto. I had an orchid once that bloomed for six months. I'm glad to know you're a survivor of "the fever." I will probably need your advice when this gets out of control. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Beth, I totally understand your orchid fever. Orchids are simply beautiful and one of the bests things about them, at least in my opinion, is that they bloom in autumn and winter. Usually I fall for them at that time of the year, but unfortunately I kill them most of the time after they have bloomed. I think, the humidify level in our house here in San Diego is simply so low that it is unsuitably for orchids... The cymbidium orchids that I grow outside on the other hand are fine.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, Hopefully, orchids will bridge the gap while the daylilies are on hiatus. The humidity is entirely too high here to suit me, but that will be good for the orchids (makes for bad hair days though ... lol). I am off to look up the cymbidium orchids you grow outside. I'm sure they are lovely. :-)

      Delete