Monday, March 19, 2012

O is for Orchid!

Well, well, well, I managed to make it to the Lowes Garden Center once again.  Yesterday, my husband was looking for paint, so that gave me plenty of time to browse in the world of plants ...

 I'm partial to white orchids.  Thought this one was a beauty ...

 and this one ...

Very exotic!  I had to take a close look to make sure it was a real flower.

Pretty in Pink

If a tropical drink were a flower, I think this one would be it. 

Symphony



My shopping cart ... notice I'm being strong.  There's not an orchid in it (this time ;-).  I did get an onion chive and a beautiful dianthus.  I have found that dianthus weathers our scorching summers quite well.  Our summers seem to be getting hotter with long periods of drought, so I've started appreciating drought tolerant plants over the last two or three years.  I baby the daylilies and the irises, but everything else has to be pretty tough.  It was 87 here today!

And a little something for the hummingbirds ...

4 comments:

  1. Oh the orchids are lovely. I have been given several but they never survive - they are also very expensive in London. We are now in spring flower season - daffodils and tulips mostly. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're in spring flower season now Annabelle! xx

      Delete
  2. Beth, you were wise to resist the orchids; you're already addicted to daylilies. I have multiple addictions, including orchids. Bet you can't buy just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrified that I'll start collecting orchids! You would win the bet! LOL

      Delete