Saturday, June 9, 2012

Guilty!

This is one of my very real time posts.  I awoke this morning with the guilty feeling that I'd forgotten to fill the bird feeder last night with the coveted sunflower chips.  I knew the scene that awaited.  I entered the great room at the moment shortly after dark-thirty and there they sat.  On the arching, wrought iron hooks from which the feeders hang, sat my very plump doves.  They were facing the house, staring in through the glass doors.  Doves shouldn't even be able to get on the sunflower chip feeder.  It's a little too small for them.  However, these have adapted, and have developed aerial skills which are not normal for a dove.  They should be down on the ground picking up spilled seed, but apparently that is "beneath" them now.  I'm afraid my son is right;  I've spoiled the birds around here.  As I sat on the sofa trying to enjoy my coffee, I would glance out at the bird feeders from time to time, and each time they were staring or glaring by now into the house.  What have I created?  I couldn't get to the sunflower chips without waking others up at five or ten after "dark-thirty," so I just tried not to look.  I still felt guilty.  Well, time has passed and I've been able to get my hands on the sunflower chips, so off I go like the faithful servant I've become to stock the buffet.  My grandfather would be proud.  I can still see him in my memories out in blizzard type weather in Illinois filling the bird feeders.

P.S.  I was too guilty to take a photo ... it wouldn't have been right.  I didn't want to provoke a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds."

No comments:

Post a Comment