Saturday, June 23, 2012

'Stargazer' to the rescue!

Just in time ...

Stargazer Lily

As most of you are just beginning your daylily bloom season, mine is coming to an end.  There are still a few late bloomers putting on a small show.  I can't believe this!  I think the last daylily to bloom is going to be one of the first two that started off the show.  Stay tuned for a daylily end of show post coming up soon ... sigh.  Look who's come to the rescue to save me from lily withdrawal!  Last year, I purchased a bag of 'Stargazer' bulbs (one of my impulse buys).  The bag was supposed to contain a mixture of pink and yellow 'Stargazers.'  This is the first one to bloom and I just love it.  Hm mm, I may start paying more attention to stargazers and other oriental lilies.  These beauties would fill the gap from the end of daylily season to fall.  Now, there's an idea!  I know what you're thinking ... "here she goes with another flower addiction."  I'll pRaCtiCe rEsTraint ... you'll see. ;-)  Just curious, do any of you have any oriental lily recommendations?  I'd love to hear about your favorites.

I'm off to look for spots to plant oriental lilies ...
Hope you're having a great weekend! 

:-)

9 comments:

  1. I say GO FOR IT!! I love Oriental Lilies, and don't forget the Orienpet too!! I have the good old Casablanca, also Pookie, Conca d' Or and Eudoxa to name a few!! Check out www.bdlilies. They are my favorite seller!! When the orientals bloom for me in July my gardens smell like a candy factory. You MUST plant them!! You are so right, they will fill in the gap. It's not an addiction, you are just being pratical. LOL Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! I'm taking the plunge. I've been browsing for orientals, etc. already, and have seen 'Eudoxa.' It's a beauty! Thanks for the suggestions (going to look them all up) and seller tip. This is the time to order them, so I better get serious about this. I agree, I'm just being practical. The gap must filled. LOL

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've had a stellar season, O queen of the Lilies. Indeed, my lilies are just budding up. Stay tuned. Happy hunting on space.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lee. I certainly have enjoyed this years daylily season. I shall stay tuned, indeed. I look forward to visions of your daylilies, which know must be lovely. Regarding my hunting, I've found a few nooks and crannies in the garden for some oriental lilies ... still looking though.

      QOTL :-)

      Delete
  3. I love 'Nippon', 'Salmon Star', 'Tom Pouce' and for a trumpet- there is nothing better than 'African Queen'
    Hope all is going well for you. I am at peak bloom right now!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions, Nikki. I noticed 'African Queen' in a catalog a few years ago, and haven't ever forgotten it. It will be mine soon! :-) I looked up the others, and I have a feeling they will all end up in my garden. Hope you're enjoying peak bloom time ... I know your garden must be amazing right now. My husband always says I'm "high on pollen" during peak bloom time here. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hello Beth, my first visit to your blog, what a lovely garden you have! I can warmly recommend Lilium regale, they have a gorgeous scent and are very easy to grow from seed. I started with 5 bulbs 8 years ago and could probably have had thousands by now, but have RESTRAINED myself to around 80 :-) I have Stargazer and some other oriental lilies, and some Asian lilies too, but nothing compares to Lilium regale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene, I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for your kind words about my garden. It brings me much joy. Lilium regale is lovely (just looked it up.) It was just added to my wish list. I know I can't go wrong with a lily so highly recommended. :-) I understand about having to restrain oneself with flowers. Your collection must be lovely. I'm going to fly over to visit your blog later today. My husband is waiting for me to get off of the computer now, so we can leave for a day trip. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete