Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo"

Isn't it amazing how objects can magically transform from something on the verge of being thrown away to something special?  The bottle below along with a twin had been sitting in our kitchen waiting for a purpose for the last year.  They are just too pretty to be thrown away, so I would periodically imagine possible uses I might have for them, such as vases for very tall-stemmed lilies.  I do have a few Stargazers that would fit the bill, since I would NEVER cut one of the daylilies except under extenuating circumstances.  Anyway, I just happened to be reading a delightful post titled "A Tribute to Big Momma's Garden" on the blog of my new gardening friend, Lee May, and before I knew it ...

"Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo"


I had this gorgeous new gazing bottle.

Cobalt Blue Gazing Bottle Ball
There will soon be a lot of color in the bed my lovely gazing bottle graces.  For now, the gazing bottle adds the pop of color that's needed.  I'll be sure to post another photo when the bed is in full bloom, and the herbs have filled out.  There is a lot packed into this tiny bed (I left everything room to grow though).  Apparently, I can fit plants into a garden with the same efficiency that I can load a dishwasher.  My husband says I hold the world record for being able to fit the most dishes, etc. in a dishwasher!  It's probably true since the dishwasher gives me more time to garden. :-)  Back to the subject I have wandered from, as I found out on Lee's blog, according to lore, bottles in the garden trap bad spirits at night, and dispel them when daylight arrives.  A bad spirit trap is always a useful tool to have around.  :-)

The Poppy Project
I had to do something with the iris bed, since the irises are on strike this year, so I decided to plant Iceland Poppies (they're not the illegal ones :-) as a companion plant.  I've been meaning to do this anyway, since an iris bed can be unsightly at times after blooms (should there be any) are gone.  I did go ahead and plant the poppies, but they were all lying down on the ground like little drunken sailors, so I'll post a photo later when they decide to stand up.

Beverly Sills Iris Bud



I went over to "Martha's Garden" yesterday to compare irises.  I snapped this photo of one of the few iris buds (Beverly Sills) over there.  I guess my suspicion about our crazy weather putting a stop the blooms here this year is correct, since there were only two or three with buds over in "Martha's Garden" (out of about 100 irises).

Double Red Knock-Out Rose



The Knock Out rose is such a workhorse in my garden.  It can go through horrible heat waves and drought once established without missing a beat!

French Marigolds
A little something for the tomatoes ... I manage to fit flowers in whenever possible.  These are supposed to be beneficial for the tomatoes too. 

French Marigold

Clematis

Stella d'Oro Daylily & Garden Gator Stepping Stones
Oh, you have to love the always faithful and first bloomer, Stella d'Oro!  Even though it's not an unusual designer daylily, it's a fine little daylily that can always be counted on to brighten early spring days.  

Between the garden gator and my new gazing bottle, this should be a well protected garden. :-)  I went out and got a third blue bottle earlier this week, so I have two more beautiful blue gazing bottles that will appear in the garden soon.  Who knows where they'll pop up?  

Well, I'm off to Miracle Grow the garden, and then on to shopping and preparing for Easter.  Hope you all have a great weekend! :-)

15 comments:

  1. Beth, you sure made fabulous use of that blue bottle. 'Preciate your crediting me for inspiring your *aha* moment. Your artist's eye did the rest; beautiful placement.

    Beautiful, too, are your images of what's blooming there, inspiring me to be patient during the long weeks before I expect rose, iris, clematis or daylily blooms here in Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lee, That bottle sure has become a big part of my garden. You're certainly welcome for the credit ... this wouldn't have happened without your post. Thank you for the nice compliments regarding the placement of the bottle and the images of the blooms. We may have blooms now, but you'll be a lot better off in Connecticut June - August while we endure the scorching summer down here.
      All the best!

      Delete
    2. Excellent point on that summer heat, Beth. How well I remember from my years in Atlanta. In any case, it's nice to garden vicariously in your garden – and later, in reality, in mine. Cheers on you.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea of glass capturing the bad spirits - I have so many suitable items collected for that special idea. Thank you so much for the nomination and BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Annabelle! How nice to have something that's both pretty in the garden, and captures any bad spirits that might be hanging around. Will you be putting a gazing bottle out in your garden? You're quite welcome for the nomination. You have been such an inspiration! I'm not sure if I would have made it without you my friend. Thank you for the congratulations - I'm honored and am still amazed. XX

      Delete
  3. Great idea using coloured glass bottles in the garden, a beautiful focal point while waiting for plants to perform. Looking forward to seeing your beds in bloom soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, It was nice to be able to use something I already had around the house as a garden ornament! I guess we all have some sort of "pretty" around that could go in the garden. I will be sure to post plenty of photos when the beds are in bloom. I'm looking forward to seeing your beds in bloom this year as well. We don't have too much longer to wait. :-)
      XXX

      Delete
  4. I like your new addition to the garden. It certainly adds a nice magical touch. The blue is a nice hue in that bed. It reminds me of the glass sculptures I have seen in some botanical gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love that blue too. I don't have a lot of ornaments in the garden yet, but I think I'll stick with the blue of my magical bottle when adding accents.
      All the best! :-)

      Delete
  5. Great use of the bottle, I love it!!! Congrats on your nomination and thanks for paying it forward!!! I was wondering why you think your Iris are not going to have blooms this year??? Was it an early spring, and then a cold snap?? My iris look the best ever right now, and I can't imagine two years of no iris blooms. :(
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. That bottle catches my eye each time I walk by now.

      Thanks for the congrats on the nomination ... I am still amazed. You're quite welcome for your nomination ... I love your blog!

      Well, the irises are awfully late this year. Last year, I had lots of blooms by now. We had a very early extreme heat wave this year, and I'm afraid most of my tall bearded irises went into shock from that. However, I do have two buds that just appeared within the past three days ("Rip City" and "About Town"), so please keep your fingers crossed for me. Hopefully, there are more iris buds on the way. Should the iris stay on strike, I guess I'll reminisce over last years photos, and visit your blog to see some beautiful 2012 iris blooms.

      All the best! :-)

      Delete
  6. Love the blue bottle, but I'm captivated by the iris picture ... the one with the petals emerging. Your posts are always so full of joy, and for that I'm nominating you for the Sunshine Award. :) I'm on dial-up, so the post will be up later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine,

      Thank you so much for the Sunshine Award nomination! I am truly honored. This is such a nice surprise! :-)

      I'm glad you like the blue bottle, and the iris. That iris is blooming next door on the far side of the garden now. It shines like a beacon when I am out on the deck looking across the fence! If only I had a telescopic lens for the camera. I will try to get over there tomorrow to snap a photo.

      All the best! :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Beth,
    Still working on my awards "posts" to pay them forward, but I'm on dial-up. Everything takes a looong time. Soon, though. Just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine. I understand and I just appreciate you thinking about me. This has been such a nice surprise. :-)

      Delete