Sunday, April 1, 2012

Where oh where are the iris blooms?


- Where oh where are the iris blooms? -
Today, I had to face the disheartening realization that my tall bearded irises probably won't be blooming this year.  This is probably due to the very mild winter we enjoyed as well as a very early heat wave this year.  Bearded irises are tricky to grow in lower Alabama, and this year they are just being persnickety!  If they do this next year, I know some tall bearded irises that just might be finding a new home in a northerly direction.  Well, on second thought, I'll probably keep two or three of them just for the foliage ... I think the silvery foliage is beautiful.  On to happier subjects ...

- Budding Daylily - Muscle Man -
The daylily buds are appearing overnight.  They're about six weeks early this year!  I have a chart of what is planted where, and I had to use the chart this morning, since there were so many new buds when I went out to check.  I have several pink daylilies that have buds on them, so I'll have lots of pink daylily pics to post soon.  

- Pears -

- Black and Blue Salvia -
This plant amazes me!  It has lived in this old strawberry pot for years.  Black and Blue Salvia is one of my favorite plants/flowers.  It  has bluish black stems, and the new leaves are lime green when they first unfurl.  The flowers are a striking blue color.  Black and Blue Salvia is a drought tolerant, dependable perennial.  Last but not least, hummingbirds love it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment