Monday, April 2, 2012

Here's to Martha!

Martha's Garden
Each year, I take vacation from work for the week of Good Friday.  I call it my “Gardening Galore” vacation.  This is the first “Gardening Galore” week without Martha, my gardening buddy, so I thought a post in her honor would be fitting.  I don't intend this to be a sad post, but a post to remember someone dear who I had great gardening times with, and who taught me a lot about gardening.  Aside from being my gardening buddy, she was also my mother-in-law and fellow daylily addict.  Martha was the only person I’ve known who was more obsessed with daylilies than I am.  Actually, SHE started my addiction (to her delight)!  One of the first daylilies I remember Martha giving me was one named Orange Crush.  I still have it.    In her last days, Martha told me I’d have to carry on in the gardening world without her.  She knew I would.  The most treasured items I have from her are some precious daylilies from her collection (she had hundreds).  When her daylilies were in bloom, I’d always go straight to Martha’s after work to take the daylily tour.  The great thing about daylilies aside from their beauty is that each day is a surprise!  Each bloom only lasts a day, so you have a whole new show each morning.  She was particularly fond of the daylilies with a spider form as am I.  Yesterday, I stood on the deck and looked at Martha’s garden in bloom across the fence.  She had lots of amaryllis planted, and they’re all in bloom now (daylilies should bloom in about a week).  Red was Martha’s favorite color, and it definitely shows in her garden.  For some reason, her flowers (even of the same type) always bloomed before mine.  There must be some special micro-climate over there.  We both loved hummingbirds too.  Martha accused me of mixing “special” nectar when the hummers hung around over here more than at her feeders.  The truth is, hummingbirds can just be fickle, and will fly right by with their beaks “up in the air” for no good reason sometimes.  As I begin this week of “Gardening Galore,” it will be a big adjustment not hearing the sprinkler next door, Martha’s hoe or shovel in the dirt, the squeaky wheels of her gardening cart, or not having her just pop over to see how my gardening is going.  As I told her, I will carry on in the garden ...

Martha's Garden
From Martha's Garden
Another from Martha's garden (think it's "Aztec Fire Bird)


Not sure of this one's name, but it's a beauty ...
Martha

Three special gardening tips I learned from Martha:
  1. When planting the same type of plant/flower in groups, always plant three, five or seven (never an even number).
  2. When combining plants, have something spiky, something ferny (cascading) and something mounding … “Spiky, Ferny, Mounded.”
  3. Always taper your flower beds off on the edges, so the heights of the plants get lower as they get toward the edges/sides.  Personally, this has worked for me.  It is especially noticeable with smaller flower beds.
Martha's "Daylily Farm"
:-)

10 comments:

  1. Beth, what a lovely tribute to Martha. You're fortunate to have had such a talented tutor, buddy and relative. Fortunate also that you have that Orange Crush passalong plant to recall her and the times you had.

    By the way, after only growing daylilies on occasion, I went crazy last year, buying excessively. Another plant has me hooked.

    I'm a first-time flyer, enjoying discovering your blog, which resonates mightily, and looking forward to visiting often. All best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. I agree, I've been very fortunate. My grandparents were my childhood gardening mentors, and then I had Martha. I moved Orange Crush to one of the side beds a couple of years ago, but I think I'll move it back to the main daylily bed this fall, and plant that daylily in a place of honor. Gardeners do live on through the flowers they have passed along, don't they? I have several sentimental flowers.

      Ohhh, the daylily addiction is a serious one! I'm afraid you're in deep water now! I hope you have a good source nearby. We live about thirty minutes from Kirkland Daylily Farm, which I frequent quite often during daylily bloom season. I still have a few spots left in the garden. I've learned a lot about the hybridizers from the "farmer," who is a retired professor from a local university (I knew nothing about hybridizers on my first visit to the farm about seven years ago). I have found that my favorite hybridizers are Carpenter, Kinnebrew & Stamile. I'll bet you're looking forward to seeing your new dayliles this year. Hope you post some photos of them.

      I'm so glad you visited my blog. Hope you see you again soon. All the best to you too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the post - very nice tribute to Martha.
    I also love the pic of you in the blooms xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annabelle! I took your advice to put lots of colorful daylilies in the header. My husband takes a picture of me with the daylilies each year, so I'll probably update it annually. I am so looking forward to seeing them this year (lots of new ones). I have several pink ones with buds already. :-) I hope you are doing well. xxx

      Delete
  3. Hello. Great photos - one of the many reasons I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. http://nittygrittydirtman.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/extra-extra-weed-all-about-it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Kevin. I'm so proud of this nomination. :-)

      Delete
  4. Just an aded note Beth - you have "no reply" to emails so I cannot respond privately to your comments - can you fix it? Also youneed to turn off the word verification as it puts people off from commenting. Good luck with that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know Annabelle. As always, your tips are welcome and appreciated. I think I have everything fixed now ... just let me know if I don't. xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Beth,
    I was just passing through and was touched by this wonderful tribute to Martha. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law, though it sounds she was mostly a wonderful friend.

    All the best with your beautiful blooms!
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loretta. Yes, Martha was a wonderful friend. :-)

      Also, thank you for your wishes with the beautiful blooms. There should be quite a few daylilies in about two weeks. Hope you'll stop by to take a look. :-) I am going to head over the "The Heart of a Home Keeper" for a visit.

      All the best!

      Delete