Thursday, April 12, 2012

Well, well, well, look what the cat drug in!

"The Cat" has been busy lately.  Somehow, it got on the Internet and ordered two roses from "The Antique Rose Emporium."  "The Cat" ordered a "Don Juan" climber, which it envisions floating across the top of a fence that badly needs a rose.  "Don Juan" is supposed to have a delightful scent and do well in extreme heat.

Antique Rose Emporium
"The Cat" also got a "Buff Beauty" rose, which is can be either a climber or a shrub rose.  It has been considering making this a pillar rose.  "Buff Beauty" is also supposed to have a heavenly scent according to Holley at "Roses and Other Gardening Joys,"  and she should know with all of her experience with roses.  "Buff Beauty" is also shade tolerant.

The roses came in nice sized pots rather than bare root.. 

 "The Cat" also drug in:

White Orchid
This lovely, white orchid (now, how did the cat know I wanted a white orchid?) ...

Ivory Orchid
And this ivory orchid (smart cat) ...


Reminds me of vanilla.

I'll be sure to post photos of "Don Juan" and "Buff Beauty" as they mature.  Hopefully, I can get them established in time for a show this summer. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Jealous jealous jealous of the orchids. I absolutely love them but have had no success at all. I have a gardening friend (winner at Hampton Court Flower Show) who often gives them to me as gifts and I am embarrassed to say that they always die ... quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you could keep them alive if you try once more Annabelle. I've read that over watering will kill an orchid. Do you think that could have been the problem? I have trouble getting them to grow new shoots after the flowers are spent. This time, I will cut them above the first node, put them in a dark closet for a month and then see what happens. I may have to consult Lee who commented below. He has a big orchid collection! I'll keep you posted on my progress. :-)

      Delete
  2. . . . Cat Drug In. Love it. Now, that's the Alabama I lived in, where expressions paint pictures and speak volumes.

    I knew it; I knew it. I knew you wouldn't hold out for long on orchids. And the ones you chose – I'd run you for those. And, now the addiction begins. Welcome, Beth. My name is Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been waiting on your comment. I was pretty sure you'd notice this leap into a new addiction right away! This is just going to be "plum fun." I'm glad you like the ones I chose. Thank you, Lee. Nice to meet you. LOL

      Delete
  3. Now that's the kinda package I'd like to receive...one you can open...'ooh' and 'arrr' over for a while, stroke a bit, plant up & then 'ooh' and 'arrrr' over for ever more. Jealous? Moi? Maybe xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely were lots of 'oohs' and 'arrrs' over that package. I got them planted yesterday, so hopefully I'll have some blooms in a month or two. I'm planning to grow Buff Beauty as a pillar rose, so I have a little research to do on that. If you've pillared a rose, I'd love any tips you have. I'm the one who's jealous ... of your garden! xxx

      Delete
  4. How exciting!!! Love that cat! Your orchids are just gorgeous. I have tried and failed on orchids - I won't try again. It's just torture for both them and me! :) SOOO excited about your roses! Many years ago I put a Don Juan along the fence of our home. We moved the next year, but I still remember taking pictures of it blooming and being so thrilled - it looked just the way I had envisioned. I've never returned to that house. I wonder if it's still there. The Buff Beauty you will adore. BB grows kind of horizontally - like it's spreading, but I have seen a picture of one pillared. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holley ... glad you like the orchids (I've always been partial to the white ones). I needed an indoor flower addiction. :-) Oh, I am super excited about the roses too! You know, it's always been harder for me to leave the garden when I've had to move than it was to leave the house. Was it that way for you when you had to leave the Don Juan rose? I just can't wait to see Don Juan and Buff Beauty bloom! I'll be sure to post photos. If you have ever pillared a rose, I would welcome any tips you have.
      All the best! :-)

      Delete